Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Monday, July 28, 2008

Lessons from today

1. Need to start going to bed earlier. A fact that became startlingly clear when I put my bra on backwards.

2. Walking around with an adorable new puppy is essentially a public service. My friend Kelly's dog, Piper, had her face rubbed by approximately 15 strangers tonight in Hyde Park in the span of roughly two hours. It's a socially acceptable thing to do that doesn't require permission, really; it's a puppy, and we're compelled to touch it. Facts of life people.

3. It's time to answer the truly pressing question: what am I going to do with all that junk that's in my trunk? Because yesterday, the trunk bumped into a poor woman holding hot coffee, causing it to spill it all over her lap.

4. While I love Nancy Pelosi, I'm not sure I will love her new book, because it sounds a little boring.

5. Death is always a little weird, but especially when it happens to someone your own age, and you happen to be in your 20s. Like Heather. Heather McGaughey was a girl in my grade at my tiny college, Southwestern University. She passed three years ago, and I never knew her well, but I think about her so often. Her personality was one that throws into stark contrast the "living" versus "non-living" dichotomy, precisely because she was so lively, vivacious, loud and charming. She was an actress, after all. I envied her during my first literature class at Southwestern, because she always said smart things, and I envied her even more when I saw her perform on stage.

So, Heather, here it is. I really, really miss you.

No comments: