Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Sunday, January 3, 2010

Snack Bar, Austin


A couple of nights ago, I joined a few friends at the newly-opened Snack Bar down on South Congress.  It was my first visit, and though I don't bring back a report on food (just enjoyed some bubbly), I can safely report that the atmosphere is quite lovely, non?

Something about the above photo reminds me of that Edward Hopper painting, "Nighthawks."

My mom always loved that painting.

Anyway, coincidentally enough, I just learned that today is the last day Snack Bar is open before they go on a little week-long break for staff training and stuff.  Go try it!  (And report back to tell me how the food is).  Maggie's Austin and The Michael have both given Snack Bar sparkly write-ups, and you know the Yelpers are all over it.  The interior is throwback 50s diner with touches of playful kitsch, but the menu offers more tapa-like things than you might expect: Pesto gnocchi, masa cakes, even an "Asian taco" that contains - stay with me - tempeh, egg, carmelized onion, and grilled pineapple.  Yow! 

2 comments:

ryan said...

Funny, I just had brunch there this morning.

A friend and I went when it first opened and each table was equipped with an honest note as to how they were new and still learning how to manage everything, so I can't say I wasn't warned.

I had the Soco Benny and it was really, really tasty. My friend got eggs and sausage, which came undercooked. The server didn't apologize, but just asked if he wanted another order (duh?). It came back undercooked again, so she took it off the bill, but didn't mention that until we said something.

I love that they have vegan options, but I had the Freedom Benny today and it tasted like chicken and mustard. My brother got a pinapple burger and did't complain about it. The service still left me underwhelmed. We were left unattended for about 10 minutes after we had finished our food, and then all the sudden two people in a row came and asked us if we needed anything else. Our server came to drop off the bill and told us "if you can't find me, you can just pay at the counter". Not cool.

I like the location and the diner feel, so I hope they can step it up. I'll probably give them one more shot.

-ryan

Unknown said...

Thanks Ms. Eavesdropper, for the awesome write up!

And I'm really sad to hear about your experience Ryan!! Server issues and food issues, argh! Well since the break, we've worked on both, so I'm hoping you'll come back. And also note that this is an ever changing process. We've got menu additions coming in the next week or so.

I love that Edward Hopper painting too and am honored for the comparison.

Cheers!!! Bethany, owner Snack Bar