Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Thursday, December 16, 2010

"Magic everywhere in this bitch."

Yesterday, The Onion's A.V. Club ran a brief about forthcoming Terence Malick film Tree of Life, shot just outside Austin in Smithville, Texas.  That headline you see above is theirs, not mine, but it was so good I couldn't resist using it.  (And furthermore, our very own Sean O'Neal -- editor of A.V. Club Austin -- authored said piece and presumably, headline).

Watching this trailer is a little like watching NOVA in the beginning, and then Brad Pitt, and then the 1950s, and then Sean Penn?  I'm not 100% sure what it's about.  But it looks Oscar baity.




Fun facts about Tree of Life's filming in Smithville:


I will probably see Tree of Life.  But I don't know.  Sometimes I lack patience for movies that, from the outset, look like they're trying to teach you something about life, about this crazy world of ours, that forcefeed you some kind of larger lesson.  Movies like Crash

What movies do you guys want to see right now?  For me, it's Blue Valentine all the way.  Thanks for the recommendation, Lauren.

11 comments:

bsimms8907 said...

Looks good! And for me, I can't wait to see Black Swan, but you already knew that.

Anonymous said...

Awesome blog! I've included it on a site I've created, which is a compilation of some of the best blogs in the city.

Best of Blogs Austin
http://bestofblogsaustin.wordpress.com

Unknown said...

Oooh, interesting. Although, can I be honest? I was never a big Brad Pitt fan. I'm kinda over the whole Brangelina thing. Meh.

I also want to see Blue Valentine, Black Swan, The King's Speech, Winter's Bone, and a new Mike Leigh movie (because I love the Brits) that's not even released yet called Another Year. I've been sadly remiss in seeing new movies this year.

Rachel from Love a la Mode said...

I remember when they were filming this and people were going crazy about seeing Angelina all over town... It's probably something I'll rent when it comes out on dvd later. Right now I really want to see The King's Speech and Country Strong.
Bisous,
Rachel
lovealamode.wordpress.com

Cathy Benavides said...

I also want to see Blue Valentine as well as Love and Other Drugs, Black Swan, The King's Speech and (I'm so late on this one) The Kids Are Alright.

Austin Eavesdropper said...

BSimms8907 - GO SEE BLACK SWAN. It's dark, it's campy in spots, Natalie Portman will blow your mind.

@BestOfBlogsAustin - Are you a bot?

...No matter, that's no way to respond to a compliment. Thank you!

@Breanna - Maybe you, me, and @Cathy Benavides should all go see Blue Valentine together? Just saying?

@Rachel - Oddly enough I ALSO kind of want to see Country Strong. Mostly because I can't get over Gwyneth Paltrow! Being so...down-to-earth! And WARM!

Also I love Leighton Meester. I think she is Gossip Girl's unsung hero and the heart of the show.

@Cathy - OOoooohhhhhh The Kids Are Alright is so fantastic! You will walk out smiling. Such a good little movie. Probably my favorite that I've seen this year, over Inception, over Black Swan.

Beth H said...

hmmm. yeah, it does look like it might be a bit heavy-handed. i'm always a sucker for movies filmed here in TX though. anybody know where that church is with the spiral of stained glass windows? looks gorgeous!

Anonymous said...

A few of my aunts and uncles live in Smithville! They were extras in Hope Floats, but more importantly, one of my cousins helped Angelina Jolie find her dog when she lost it when Brad was filming! A little claim to fame ;)

-Natalie

Hipstercrite said...

I can't WAIT to see this bitch with all the magic.
Yes! Go see Blue Valentine as soon as it comes out. Bring some tissues though. You'll fall in love with Ryan Gosling real hard (if you haven't already).

Unknown said...

I saw Black Swan yesterday. Holy Shit, is about all I can say. Natalie Portman is AMAZING!!!

katherine said...

um, i just got done seeing black swan and i'm pretty sure i'm going to have trouble sleeping tonight.