Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Wednesday, August 10, 2011

I'm not sure if you've heard of Fun Fun Fun Fest?

The new venue was announced.  

The lineup has been released.  

Some of my favorite bands are playing.  

And still ... nary a peep from me on Fun Fun Fun Fest.

Bad blogger.  Very bad!   Especially since I had a grand time last year.

Amy of the asterisks, me, Mary Rehak of Red River Noise.

So let's talk about it, why don't we?  Because Fun Fun is getting huge!

(Note for Non or New Austinites: Fun Fun Fun Fest is like the little music festival that could.  The whole thing used to be held on a small patch of grass in downtown Austin.  Then, it moved to a park, then it expanded to four stages, then it started hosting folks like MGMT and Danzig and The National, and now it is ginormous.  It sells out every year, and before one of the members hurt his hand, Devo was slated to headline last year.  Devo!)

If you are headed to Fun Fun this year, who are you excited to see?  

Because I'll tell you mine.  

My friend Amy, above -- who's like my personal source of indie music news -- introduced me to The Joy Formidable just two days ago.  They're a hard-strumming British band with these melodic voices, and I like them very much.  Along with Austin band Heartless Bastards, and Lykke Li of course, they comprise my personal Top Three.


Also?  Let's face it -- I still love Passion Pit!  Ditto Clap Your Hands Say Yeah.  They are both playing at Fun Fun this year, too.  

Here's a mix of Austin Eavesdropper Fun Fun Favorites.


MusicPlaylistView Profile

(Confession.  I've never really listened to Blonde Redhead before. But I used to be blonde, and now I'm ... a redhead.  Sometimes that's all it takes to get my attention.)

Who else should I look out for on this list?  I see Neon Indian and Diplo ... heh.  Funny story about Diplo.  I interviewed him at SXSW this year, and later that day, he got arrested!  Even more amusing was the fact that he Tweeted it.

Anyone else you are particularly jazzed about, fellow Fun Fun attendees? 

No comments: