Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Birds of Paradise.

It is a fact that I've always loved cross-dressers.

There are a few reasons for this. A) While growing up, there was a Moseley family tradition of getting dressed up in costumes for Christmas cards. While most families were posing in front of the the Christmas tree, or perhaps in front of a fireplace mantle, I was putting fruit on my head with my parents and dressing up as Carmen Miranda.

That man on the right? ....Is my father. Isn't he sort of precious? Are you noticing that his lipstick is the brightest??

As you can see, from a young age, I was exposed to men wearing women's clothing for a variety of occasions, including the birth of Christ.

B) My favorite Popple was always Rockstar Popple, who was kind of like the Ziggy Stardust of the Popple world. Androgynous and glittery and awesome.

C) Mom and I both love the movie To Wong Foo, Thanks For Everything! Julie Newmar (RIP Patrick Swayze). Have you seen it? If not, stop reading this post, drive to the nearest video rental store, and GET IT. So funny! You will never look at Wesley Snipes the same way again, who is sister sassypants all the way through. Also, Patrick Swayze is a gorgeous woman. Coincidentally - or not - this movie released the same year that above Christmas card picture was taken, making me wonder if the one did not perhaps inspire the other.

So it comes as no surprise that this is my very favorite clip from BBC's Planet Earth, and quite possibly my favorite clip from anything, ever. (Thank you thank you Heather and Eric for giving Planet Earth to R. and I for Christmas!)


I cannot tell you how much I want one of these birds as a pet. Wouldn't it be so great to come home to one of these fancy guys? I would clap for him and make him puff himself out for me again and again.

I die, revive myself, and die again around minute 2:32 when David Attenborough goes, "oh dear. Her departure says it all." Poor bird of paradise.

7 comments:

Optimista said...

That "Miranda Warning" sign = pure genius.

And that Planet Earth clip was so cool! That last bird looked like a big, blue smiley face when he was doing his little dance.

Optimista said...

P.S. You make an uber-hot Carmen Miranda, BTW!

Eric said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Barbara said...

That is awesome!

Beth said...

I love everything about this post. Hilarious about your family, but mostly: popples. That just made my day. What happened to old school toys like that? And also the birds of paradise on Planet Earth - they, along with the shark-eating-seal shot and the polar bears, are the best part of the show. In short, yes, ma'am, this is awesome.

Austin Eavesdropper said...

Optimista - Thanks!! This picture was taken mere *seconds* before I officially hit puberty and adolescence, thus rendering these Christmas cards soooooo embarrassing. (And then when I got to college, I thought they were awesome again). I always love it when people "get" the Miranda Warning sign - Dad is an attorney so a lot of our Christmas card have some kind of legal theme.

Eric - Thanks to u 2, buddy!

Barbara - Thank you! Your workout/Crossfit blog is inspiring. I was halfway thinking of working out...just right after I finish this white chocolate cappuccino (BAD)...but now am definitely going to. :)

Beth - Thanks girl. Seriously, someone needs to bring back Popples! I had both the regular-size kind and the pocket-size kind, to ensure I was never without Popple. (Do you know the mini kind I'm talking about?) Also, "So Fing Healthy" looks pretty rad...want to come read what you and Kristine are up to over there. :) (Especially since it's, um, New Years Resolution time)

Anonymous said...

I've heard Bumble - Courtship with the words from this video =) I never thought I would ever see it!