Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Friday, May 7, 2010

A post from GARY! In the Words of Johnny Kemp, "It's Friday Night"

This post comes to you courtesy of GARY!, Austin Eavesdropper's devilishly handsome music contributor. GARY!, tell the good people of Austin what they should be doing tonight:


Just got paid, Friday night
Party huntin', feelin' right
Body shakin', all around (Body shakin' all around)
No one thinks when I'm gettin' down

Check the mirror, we're lookin' fly
Round up the posse, jump in my ride
Radio rockin', a monster jam
Feel the rhythm, pump up the sound

Ok now that we got that out of the way, let me be the first to say congratulations. You made it through another monotonous work week. So let us all let out a collective sigh, because it’s Friday yo. Now let’s talk about what to do with all that hard earned cash!

We all know that Austin has its fair share of things to do on any given day, and tonight is no different. Tonight brings us a pretty stellar event that has the Eavesdropper all up in a tizzy. Yes, a TIZZY. And I will be the first to say that we don’t use that word lightly.

First up we have an album release party for one of AE’s favorites, Fresh Millions. We’ve talked about these guys in the past on AE, and to beat a dead horse, we absolutely love it when these guys play a live show. There is something about their music that just causes the booty shake involuntarily. The way Geoff Earle melds the sounds of electro, funk, and rock (with heavy emphasis on the FUNK) are unprecedented in the Austin Music scene, perhaps only matched by fellow Austin band Auto Body. Tonight’s show at The Scoot Inn marks quite an achievement for Geoff, being that tonight is also the band's album release party.

I’ve had a chance to listen to the album a few times and I have to say it delivers on every front that it should. My only complaint is that it falls slightly short of capturing the spectacle of seeing Fresh Millions live. That’s not meant to be disparaging ding against the album, but rather a compliment to how rad they are live. I feel the same way about Hot Chip, Ghostland Observatory, and The Octopus Project. All great bands, but live they take things to a whole other level of awesome. In my humble opinion some bands just need to be experienced, and I can’t really think of a better compliment to pay a musician than that. We now live in the age of the modern recording studio where anyone can sound like a great band, but what matters is that they have the goods to back it up live (AHEM. Looking at you, Crystal Castles).

Also on the bill for tonight’s show is Focus Group, releasing their new Unicornography EP tonight. This is the first time they’ve really popped up on my radar, but I have to say I’m REALLY digging what I’ve heard on their website. I can’t even begin to really describe their sound except to say that it’s two parts awesome and one part eclectic, with a dash of horns and keys to boot. I'm looking forward to hearing more from these guys in the future, and if the music posted on the web is any indication of the new EP’s sound, I’ll definitely be picking up a copy for myself.  Check 'em out yourself to see what I mean.


No Mas Bodas , Butcher Bear and VidKidz are also on the bill as well.

Make sure to RSVP over at Do512 for FREE entry tonight. Show starts at 10 at the Scoot Inn, and the first 25 people through the door will receive a free copy of the brand new Fresh Millions CD. To get a little taste of that goodness, visit Fresh Millions' band camp page or Sound Cloud page.

That's all I got,
g.

No comments: