Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Monday, May 24, 2010

What's your favorite place in Austin?

So guess what, you guys? I am currently in New York. (Cue Alicia Keys!)

It's for work, but I'm still excited. Who doesn't love Manhattan? Especially if you're a writer, it's not hard to feel drunk with possibility while you're here. It's the city of titan book publishers. The home of The New Yorker.  The New York Times. 

The home - pause here for appropriate reverence - of Carrie Bradshaw's laptop.

Anyway!  We'll have content running through the Eavesdropper presses this week, both by me and some lovely Eavesdropper contributors. But since I'm away, I've been working on a post that I decided I need your help with.

See, a few days ago, I started writing a "Top Ten Places" in Austin list. All completely subjective and up to my whims, of course. But instead of just posting THE BEST places, according to me and that's it, I thought I'd reach out and get your opinions, too.

(Also, I know that not everyone who reads this blog lives in Austin. And to that I say, I'm sorry! But when you get to Austin - because eventually you will - the suggestions from locals will be valuable indeed. So I'm going to label this "Best of Austin" in the post tags below, and use that tag again when we run little "best of" lists or posts).

And now I turn to you, Austinites. What is your favorite place in Austin?

Truthfully, mine changes all the time. But if I had to choose - right now - I think I'd pick the low-lit, gorgeous corners of East Side Show Room. Especially with a jug band playing, and especially with silly friends. I know. I talk about it all the time. But look at it!

14 comments:

Addie said...

Oh, New York. The last time I was there, the city was plastered with posters for the first Sex and the City movie. I can hardly watch that show without feeling my heartstrings pulling toward the Big Apple. Throw on your stilettos and feel the rush of the breeze as you head into the subway. Enjoy your trip!

(And how on earth did Alicia Keys capture all the emotion of New York in a single song? I mean, seriously, could a better theme song for that city have been written?)

Becky B. said...

Two places are leaping to mind for me...

1) Lustre Pearl. This is basically the house party I wish I was cool enough to throw in high school. Or even now, come to think of it...

2) Home Slice. I can smell those pizza pies from my house, which means I follow my nose Toucan Sam-style over there at least once a week.

Unknown said...

The best place in Austin? Red Bud Island. It is beautiful, and my dog doesn't have to a be on a leash to enjoy it.

Jane Gibson said...

Great question. I can't wait to read all the responses. My go-to places are Olivia and South Congress Cafe.

Unknown said...

My backyard. Srsly, it's like a sit-com over here with people coming and going. Secondly, the Dog & Duck for exactly the same reasons. I grew up with that place.

Mai said...

Top 10 Places Austin or Top 10 places to eat?

Quintessential Austin to me are: Alamo Drafthouse and Barton Springs.

To eat: Trailer Park Eatery on S. 1st and/ E. 6th with all the trailers (hard to pick just one)...

I love taking my friends to ESSR even though it is pricey and we're all poor haha...any bar that serves an old fashioned as well as they do is a fave in my book.

Kristen said...

ahhh New York, hope you are having a blast! Also, I agree with everyone about the Jay Z/Alicia Keys song... I used to live in New York, and now that I've moved away, I'm totally romanticizing that city. That song is partially to blame. So good.

My favorite place in Austin? I second Alamo Drafthouse, my backyard (one of the greatest parts of Austin-living!). I'll be thinking of more...

Hipstercrite said...

umm....everything!

Beth H said...

i would add House Pizza on Airport & Blue Dahlia as far as food goes. and that amazing candy store on SoCo - Big Top, i think? and speaking of SoCo, Uncommon Objects is a fave shopping haunt of mine. i can spend hours browsing in there!

Anonymous said...

Right now it's got to be G'Raj Mahal on a Friday night with a bottle 'o' wine in tow.

Austin Eavesdropper said...

@Addie - EEP, we certainly did! :D The city was so fun and fabulous. Visited Brooklyn & Greenwich Village for the first time, which was a treat. And you would have been proud...we visited both Bobby Flay's restaurant (Mesa Grill) and attempted Mario Battali's (Po). But alas, Battali had no room for Tolly (long wait).

@Texanthropology - "Toucan Sam" nose. :) Do you read Seth Mazow's blog, Year of the Pizza? It's all ABOUT Home Slice! You'd love it!

@James - Sigh, I used to live near Red Bud Isle. Taking walks, I would start pining for a dog...except, my cat would kill it.

@Janee - You know, I still haven't been to Olivia yet. But South Congress Cafe? Girl, you espeakeh my language. I had my bridal luncheon there, years ago. :)

@Jimmy - I like you. And I also like Dog & Duck. It's like Austin's very own Cheers.

@Mai - Alamo Drafthouse, yes. You just get so much bang for your buck there. Killer programming...film...food...alcohol. Did you know Entertainment Weekly named it one of the Top Ten theaters in the country? (And I want to say it was really high up there, like #2, or even #1)

@Kristen - You used to live in New York?! Wait, I think I knew that. But what part? It's an easy city to romanticize...was definitely doing a little bit of that last week, strolling through Chelsea.

@Hipstercrite - Srsly.

@Beth H - Blue Dahlia, totally. Such a precious little spot. A place to share bread, slowly sip your wine...or in my case, chug it. Got very very drunk there once. Too embarrassing.

@JamieM - You and @Texanthropology should hang out! G'Raj Mahal first, walk to Lustre Pearl after. :)

Kara said...

Since moving up to Dallas, I miss going to the Drafthouse the most (especially Master Pancake showings), shopping at Buffalo Exchange and eating at Trudy's and Blue Dahlia. Oh and hiking up Mount Bonnell to think.

Austin Eavesdropper said...

@Kara! My darling Kara. I miss you. Is it any wonder we have almost all of the same favorites? Except I have not been hiking on Mount Bonnell yet...for shame!! I think I went camping in the area once though, and it was marvelous.

Kara said...

Oh you have to go to Mount Bonnell- it has the best views of Austin! You can see all of downtown on one side (just make sure to stand on the giant concrete table) and then Lake Austin on the other side... and I am pretty sure you can spy on Michael Dell and his house. :)