Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Birthday weekend, part 2.


On Sunday, a few friends and I ventured up to the top of the hill at Butler Park, and had a little party.

I'm very practical, so naturally I wore a dress and heels for the hike.  When we got to the top, we discovered the coolest thing: A piano.


(We also discovered high winds.)

There are currently 14 pianos placed around Austin as part of the "Play Me, I'm Yours" exhibit by artist Luke Jerram.  The show has been touring internationally since 2008 apparently, and we were tickled pink when we found this one!  

Right as the party started, a girl and her two buddies showed up out of nowhere and serenaded us on the piano.  One of the guys got on his hands and knees and acted as her bench; the other guy shot a video of the whole thing while we stood there slack-jawed, as she belted out this sultry little number.  I'm pretty sure it's headed to a YouTube near you.

(Here are more photos of Austinites enjoying the Butler Park piano).



Doesn't the city just look ridiculous from up here?  That's my sweet baby flying a kite in the background.  It's a lady bug.


Look at these girls to my left and right, Amy and Laurie.  They're adorable, huh?

This birthday party was exactly what I wanted: Playful and relaxing.  Sometimes you want a big blowout for your birthday, other times, you want a park, dogs, kites and babies. Other times still you want to blast dirty gangster rap from a boom box, and show everyone the latest dance moves you learned from Jersey Shore.  But then you think better of it. 

I believe this is what they truly mean about growing older and wiser. 

7 comments:

CAMILLE STYLES said...

Hello best birthday ever!! Gorgeous weather and the coolest setting...another reminder of how much I love Austin!

bsimms8907 said...

So sorry I couldn't make it... I'm in the last month before the end of the semester. Which of course means I'm in a living hell until May 13. Everything piles up in these next few weeks :( Hopefully as soon as I get to May I'll have more time and can actually make out to all these events I say I'm going to.

Unknown said...

Great tip on the piano, I'll be sure to check out Butler Park.

Hope you had a wonderful birthday and that's a really pretty dress Tolly :)

Christi @ Rumination Avenue said...

That project is amazing! Makes me wish I'd kept up those piano lessons, blach. Happy Belated Birfday!

Anonymous said...

Map Hill! I didn't know there was a piano up there now! I saw one on the pedestrian bridge the other day. I must go. That hill is even lovelier at night--best view of the skyline ever. Also, if you are so inclined, you can lay on your back on the benches and look at the skyline upside down, so the buildings come out of the sky and cars fly around above them. Makes it a little more magical.

Natalie

Cathy Benavides said...

We did our family pictures there over the weekend and we did some around the piano. Music is huge in my family (we are all singers, mom and one sister play piano, another sister and I play cello) so it was perfect. Looks like an awesome party- happy birthday again!!

rene said...

OMG Girl.. happy birthday!!! I am so sorry that I sat there on the phone with you blab blab blabing and all along it was your birthday?? Oooh, it will be special indeed when I get back into town. Mmmmuah!!