Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Monday, December 8, 2008

Everybody go to ColdTowne! ALSO: What's your favorite Christmas movie?

Alright, so I pretty much had a BLAST last night at ColdTowne's "Stool Pigeon!" If you're a reader of this blog and came out to the show, or (more likely) a friend that I forced to attend, thank you so much!!!

Before we go any further - that story I told about Thomas Kinkade ("Painter of Light") being a swinger? Totally true. Go read the full story at my friend Jon's blog, I Love and Hate Everything.

ANYWAY - I'm a little embarrassed to admit this, but last night was the first time I've been to ColdTowne. People, if you haven't been already, you need to go. I'm already checking out their calendar for their next events! I think R. and I may go to another Stool Pigeon or possibly a CageMatch since we liked the improv stuff so much.

On a slightly different, yet relevant because it is related to performance NOTE, here's something to get excited about. About this time next week, I'll be posting a Q&A with one of the guys who helps put together the Austin Underground Film Fest, Andy Gately. It's doubly-cool because Andy and I went to high school together, and I think we both agree that we've come a LONG WAY since high school.

So, there is some neat stuff happening around town this month, but before we get to that, can I just be real with y'all? I'm itching to do another poll. My genius friend Dana was telling me about a self-imposed Advent she and her then-boyfriend, now-husband, did once. Every day of December, they had to watch a different Christmas movie. Guys, did you know there is such a thing as "Ziggy Christmas?" I thought Ziggy just existed in greeting cards from the '90s. Turns out, he has a whole feature-length film!

This month, we all need to exercise our right to watch Christmas movies. Here are a handful of my favorites, and I encourage you to vote on YOUR favorite at the top right-hand corner of your screen:

1. Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer (starring a vaguely gay elf/aspiring dentist! Now I finally understand why I love this movie so much).
2. Frosty the Snowman
3. Charlie Brown Christmas
4. How the Grinch Stole Christmas
5. Nightmare Before Christmas
6. The Muppet Christmas Carol

what's your christmas movie of choice?

P.S. - If you're all alone on Christmas, why not spend it with Wayne Coyne? He'll be here, along with the rest of his Flaming Lips crew, presenting his directorial debut "Christmas on Mars" at the Drafthouse.

8 comments:

Amy Strecker said...

You post is full of such juicy information! I'm going to treasure the Thomas Kinkade tid-bit for many years to come.

I would also suggest adding Love Actually to the Christmas movie list because it's my favorite!

Anonymous said...

Um, HELLO, "A Christmas Story," anyone??

And, great job at Cold Towne--W. and I had a blast, and are also checking out the calendar for upcoming events. Thanks for making the introduction!

Anonymous said...

Yo did such a wonderful job at Coldtowne!

Also, my favorite Xmas movies are National Lampoons Christmas Vacation and Scrooged. But I will vote for my fave of the poll!

frances said...

Love Actually, for sure! :)

Snowed In said...

It's a Wonderful Life...how could you forget this one?

Anonymous said...

i choose muppets...but i have to agree with Dana and love actually as my faves...btw - which muppet are you! or should i say...which ugly old man will you be?! here's a new one...who gets to be gerard depardeaux???!!!

Jon said...

Thanks for the shout-out, T! I re-linked back to your blog from mine, because I was so bumblingly excited.

Austin Eavesdropper said...

Love Actually, GOOD CALL Amy and Frances! Funny...I just now noticed that all of my top picks are animated. Or involve puppets.

SPEAKING OF. I can't believe how popular The Muppets are on this poll?!

Sissel - re: The League of Extraordinary Gentleman - UM, I might have to CLAIM Gerard Depardiex. That is, unless Rodney Dangerfield doesn't have an encore appearance.