A few months back, I had the giddy good fortune to sit down and chat with local vintage stylist, eBay store owner, and fashion blogger Sarah Dean. We featured her in our November fashion issue at Rare, and since our first interview together, I am unashamed to say that I stalk her on a fairly regular basis. I mean, with styling mojo like this....
...how could one not stalk?
Read on to hear about the girl who channels Courtney Love and Catherine Deneuve with equal aplomb, skips through homes of dead people, and has vowed to wear only thrift/vintage for an entire year, Sarah Dean.
1. You are a "vintage stylist," and a badass one. Explain to readers what that means, exactly?
Well, I work with photographers and models, helping them ('helping' is pretty subjective, eh?) select outfits/clothes/accessories for photo shoots. With photographers, I am usually there to help them pull off a theme or a mood. With models, I try to assist them in adding certain styles to their portfolios, like "editorial" or "commercial." I have a pretty clear niche because I only use vintage and thrift store clothing. I fancy myself a "green" stylist that way, because wearing recycled clothing is a great way to minimize your impact on the environment. I sell vintage and thrift store finds that I find for shoots on ebay, which continues the recycling theme. :)
2. How did you stumble onto such an amazing job?
3. Why are vintage clothes magical?
4. Where do you find your vintage wares?
5. Your own style reflects a few style signatures...big hair, love of belts and boots. Who and what influences your personal style?
7. Hit us with your vintage shopping tips. Favorite local shops? Fave websites?
8. Best thing about Austin fashion?
EDITOR'S NOTE 2: To peek right into Sarah Dean's luscious vintage life, check out her blog here. To go shopping at her eBay store - where I'm currently drooling over the look below - head here.
(LAST AND FINAL EDITOR'S NOTE - I lerve models with tattoos.)